Building a team to reach success in business is one of important elements. However, leading is a challenging thing because you have to have leadership skills and qualities. The team should be built well so every member can contribute to improve business performance.
There is a proverb saying that if you want to go faster you need to walk alone; if you want to go far, you need to go together. It is the same with running a business. You can go faster by going solo because you can do whatever you want without any intervention. However, it won’t take you too far. Meanwhile, working with a solid team will help you reaching far and make your success last longer.
Habits to in leading your team to success
Running a business with a well-organized team is like a dream. You need to learn how to be an effective leader first. It may take time until you can establish solid, reliable team. It is something you can learn by doing. Here are several habits to help you steer your team into success:
- Don’t be a leader that give your team a pain in the neck. Instead of over-controlling, you can delegate their tasks. You can give them a freedom to use their own skills and talents. The point is to get their tasks done. Thus, they don’t have to use your way if they can do it better with the skills they have. Autonomy is better than control because it leads to more engagements and better results.
- Be more understanding when your teammates make mistakes. They are human after all. Failing is not the end of the world and your business won’t collapse overnight just by one mistake. Mistakes are part of growth. What you need is to make them realize what went wrong and help encourage them to fix it. It is better because they learn something from the mistake.
- Lead by example is common word but not many people truly act on it. However, this is one of the best ingredients if you want the recipe of successful business. Instead of telling your team of what to do, you can give them the example. Then, you can start encouraging them to learn and understand. Furthermore, they will be able to step into their own leadership.
- It is important to make effective result of every performance or work done by your team. However, it is also important to facilitate and provide them what they need to complete the task efficiently. If they work under insufficient need, their performance will likely to be lacking. On the other hand, it will boost their performance if you provide what they really need.
- Make sure to create positive and fun environment. Your team will perform better if they feel less tense. Sometimes, difficult task and overwhelming deadlines can put your team under stress which affect their performance. Thus, you need to add an element of fun (that doesn’t compromise work ethic) which can help them stay motivated and energized doing their work.